JOINT MEDIA RELEASE WITH THE MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS, CYBER SAFETY AND THE ARTS PAUL FLETCHER
Minister for Communications, Cyber Safety and the Arts, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP and Senator for Victoria Sarah Henderson have announced funding for the regional arts sector in Victoria through the Regional Arts Fund Community Grants program, delivered in Victoria by Regional Arts Victoria.
“I am pleased to announce the following recipients have received has received funding through the latest round of the Government’s Regional Arts Fund Community Grants program, enabling them to deliver exciting new projects and activities in regional Victoria” Senator Henderson said.
Projects that will receive funding across regional Victoria include:
- $20,000 to Dr Thembu Soddell in Clunes to investigate a question essential to sustainability and innovation in regional arts: how can an individual, experimental art practice be sustainable and relevant in a rural location.
- $15,000 to the Area Theatre Company in Bendigo who will provide a mentoring program for women aged 14-62 in the local South Sudanese community in Bendigo. Developing an original theatre production, participants will have access to artistic support, mentoring and mental health support whilst creating a new work that shares their culture and experiences as recently arrived refugees.
- $14,300 to CreateAbility in Bendigo for PhoneHeads, a work that uses physical movement, dance and sound to engage with audiences in public spaces.
- $5,080 to the Village Festival of New Performance in Fryerstown for The Game. This project will involve local artists working with The Village facilitators to bring together community members to work on a Parade around a community sculptural installation work that will be incorporated into the wider event.
- $15,000 to WinterWild Apollo Bay which involves a specially commissioned large-scale fireside public art performance over two weekends for Apollo Bay’s WinterWild Festival.
The Australian Government is providing more than $668,000 through the latest Regional Arts Fund Community Grants round to support regional artists and arts organisations.
“The recipients of the Community Grants program reflect Australia’s rich and diverse arts sector, with projects to be delivered by a wide range of community groups including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, youth, culturally and linguistically diverse communities, older Australians and people with disability,” Minister Fletcher said.
“The funding will help these organisations and individuals develop new works and performances, and create opportunities to engage local communities.”
Each year the Government provides around $3.5 million through the Regional Arts Fund, which is an Australian Government program that supports sustainable cultural development in regional and remote communities. The program is managed by Regional Arts Australia and delivered by regional arts organisations in each state and territory.
For the full list of recipients and more information visit: www.arts.gov.au/funding-and-support/regional-arts-fund
9 July 2020