Senator for Victoria Sarah Henderson has urged exporters across regional Victoria to take advantage of the Morrison Government’s improved export grants program.
Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) support Australian small to medium enterprises to become successful exporters by co-funding international marketing and promotional expenses; driving export growth and local jobs.
“The Morrison Government has provided $214.5 million to support 4,700 Australian businesses to develop and expand into export markets through the EMDG program in 2020-21,” Senator Henderson said.
“I encourage businesses in across the Corangamite, Corio, Bendigo and Ballarat electorates to apply for an export grant to supercharge their business and go global.”
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Dan Tehan said EMDG program had been improved by simplified legislation, a streamlined application process and a shift to a forward-looking grant program which will ensure exporters know how much funding they will receive before they spend.
“Our Government wants Australian businesses to succeed internationally, because it supports jobs and local communities and underpins our economic recovery,” Mr Tehan said.
To apply for an Export Market Development Grant go to: austrade.gov.au/EMDG
Senator Henderson: Anna Hindson 0490 441 554
Tehan: James Bolt 02 6277 7420 | [email protected]
Applying for Export Market Development Grants (EDMG) from 1 July 2021
For export promotional activities from 1 July 2021, EMDG will no longer operate as a reimbursement scheme. Applications open 16 August and close 30 November 2021.
You can still claim reimbursement of eligible expenses incurred up to 30 June 2021 by applying under the final year of the reimbursement scheme. Applications for the reimbursement scheme close 30 November 2021, or 28 February 2022 if you are using a participating EMDG consultant.
The new forward-looking grant program will enable you to plan your marketing and promotional activities with confidence, because you will know how much you will receive over the life of your grant agreement.
Grants are designed to support you during different stages of your export journey:
Tier 1: Ready to export
- First time exporters
- Two year grant agreement with a maximum of $40,000 per financial year
Tier 2: Expanding
- Expanding your export promotion activities
- Three year grant agreement, with a maximum $80,000 per financial year
Tier 3: Expanding and strategic shift
- Expanding your export promotion activities and making a strategic shift, for example targeting a new market or a new type of customer
- Three year grant agreement with a maximum $150,000 per financial year
You’re eligible to apply for a grant if:
- your turnover is less than $20 million for the financial year 2020–21
- you’re an Australian person (your principal place of residence is in Australia)
- you have an Australian Business Number, and
- you haven’t previously accessed 8 years of EMDG grants
Your products are eligible if they’re substantially of Australian origin and are:
- intellectual property or know-how
A simple, streamlined process:
- If you’re eligible, Austrade offers you a grant agreement
- You enter into a grant agreement and carry out your plan to market
- You send Austrade milestone reports, requesting milestone payments as outlined in your agreement
- You will need to match the dollar value of the grant monies you receive
Applications are open from 16 August to 30 November 2021: austrade.gov.au/EMDG