JMR with Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Minister for Defence Personnel the Hon Andrew Gee MP
More than 720 events focused on veteran wellbeing are set to take place across the country from Saturday 16 October for the biggest Veterans’ Health Week to date.
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Defence Personnel, Andrew Gee, said the Morrison Government has provided a record $540,000 in funding for Veterans’ Health Week and this year’s theme, Get Moving, will promote physical health and encourage veterans and their families to stay active.
“I’m delighted that this year’s Veterans’ Health Week is the biggest yet, with ex-service organisations and community groups coming together to host more than 720 events around the country,” Minister Gee said.
“Veterans and their families and friends can take part in as many activities as they like and there are plenty of options on offer, so I encourage everyone to check out what’s on and get moving!”
Senator for Victoria, Sarah Henderson, said veterans across regional Victoria can get involved in local, Covid-safe events happening for Veterans’ Health Week.
“This year’s focus on physical activity offers a fantastic opportunity for veterans to make new connections with other veterans and their families while having some fun in the process,” Senator Henderson said.
“I encourage all our local veterans, current serving personnel, and their families to check out what events are happening in the area, or online, and put your hand up to participate. You can take part in activities such as:
- Botanical Garden Guided Walk organised by Geelong RSL Sub Branch Inc on 20 October from 10am-2pm
- Golf and tennis organised by Geelong & District Vietnam Veterans on 26 October and 3 November
- Lawn bowls, cycling and walking organised by Geelong TPI Welfare & Social Club Inc on 15 & 22 October
- Information day with guest lecturer organised by Torquay RSL Sub-Branch on 21 October
- Thank You for Your Service (Walk with a Veteran) organised by Lara RSL Sub Branch (date TBA)
- Daily walking or cycling organised by Ballarat Legacy Veterans then chat and coffee at Ballarat Yacht Club 16 to 24 November 2021 10:00am 11:45am
- Special luncheon held by Ballarat Legacy Veterans (date TBA)
For more information on attending a Veterans’ Health Week event, including a list of activities near you, visit the DVA website dva.gov.au/vhw, call DVA on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) or email [email protected].
15 October 2021