Local communities across Victoria are set to benefit from the Black Spot Program, a Commonwealth road safety funding initiative first delivered by the Howard Government.
However, the Albanese Government’s razor gang has placed this vital funding program under a cloud.
The Black Spot Program provides funding to improve dangerous roads, intersections and safety for all road users.
Projects across the Ballarat, Bendigo, Corangamite, Corio and Lalor electorates have been awarded Commonwealth funding under the latest round of the Black Spot Program.
“I am delighted that a number of dangerous roads and intersections across our region have attracted much needed funding to improve road safety,” Senator Henderson said.
The former Coalition Government committed $1.3 billion to fund more than 3,000 Black Spot projects between 2013 and 2022.
The Black Spot Program has ongoing funding of $110 million per year, provisioned in the Budget by the former Coalition government.
In its first 14 months, the Albanese Government has underspent on Black Spot projects, with only $25.6 million of the $31.1 million budgeted for Victoria in 2023-24 allocated.
“The future of the Black Spot Program remains under a cloud because of Labor’s 90-Day Review of the Infrastructure Investment Program,” Senator Henderson said.
“It is disappointing that the Albanese Government has not provided any certainty for this vital program which ensures greater safety for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians,” Senator Henderson.
“That Labor’s razor gang has this critical funding in its sights is extremely disappointing. This funding program saves lives,” Senator Henderson said.
The following projects in Senator Henderson’s patron seats have been awarded funding:
• Dana Street, Raglan Street South, Ballarat Central – $615,000
• Axe Creek Road from Strathfieldsaye Road to Sutton Grange Road AXE CREEK – $1,692,000
• Russell Street Russell Street to Houston Street, Quarry Hill – $316,000
• St Killian Road Plumbridge Street, White Hills- $195,000
• Edwards Road Kathleen Terrace to Dile Road, Maiden Gully- $1,079,000
• Bendigo City Centre High Pedestrian Activity Area Williamson Street, Millison Street, McLaren Street and Mundy Street, Bendigo – $324,000
• Fenton Street from 50 metres south-east of Anderson Street to Holmes Road, Bendigo – $344,000
• Marshalltown Road Bailey Street, Grovedale – $1,131,000
• Beach Road Geelong Road to Kooringa Place, Torquay – $115,000
• Blackgate Road 350 metres west of Horseshoe Bend Road to 900 metres west of Point Impossible Road and Minya Lane, Mount Duneed – $331,000
• The Esplanade Beach Road to Zeally Bay Road, Torquay- $180,000
• Fischer Street Zeally Bay Road to Centreside Drive, Torquay – $584,000
• Minerva Road Church Street to Herne Street, Herne Hill – $618,000
• Perry Street Ryan Avenue, Wangaratta – $201,000
• Benalla Street from 35 metres north-east of Barkly Street to 50 metres south-west of Nunn Street, Benalla – $255,000
• Wangaratta-Kilfeera Road 200 metres south and 200 metres north of Soldiers Lane, Greta – $155,000
• Tarneit Road Bethany Road, Tarneit – $287,000
Please contact my office for information about each project description.