The Morrison Liberal Government's investment in a stronger economy is delivering record jobs growth and a low unemployment rate which is 3.3 per cent as at June 2018 for the Corangamite electorate. Over the past five years, more than 1.2 million new jobs have been created with the strongest growth in youth jobs in our recorded history.
Locally, we have delivered many important job creation programs including in manufacturing, tourism and high-tech start ups which have helped transform our economy since the dark days of Federal Labor. These include:
- $20 million Regional Jobs and Investment Package which helped to create more than 600 Corangamite and Geelong jobs at the following local businesses and organisations:
- Lemond Composites
- Conservation Ecology Centre
- Royal Geelong Yacht Club
- Flat Glass Industries
- Conflux Technology
- Pure Ponics
- EMU (Aus)
- York Sourdough
- Anglesea Surf Lifesaving Club
- McMeckan Consulting
- Capricorn Power
- Colac Otway Shire .
- Australian New Energy
- Homestead Australia
- CPS (Colac)
- DRW Investments
- Teamworks Performance
- The Advanced Manufacturing Growth Fund has assisted local manufacturers to diversify and create new jobs. The Geelong region funding recipients are::
- MHG Glass in North Geelong
- Backwell IXL in South Geelong
- LeMond Composites at Deakin University Waurn Ponds
- Carbon Revolution Operations in Waurn Ponds
- Flat Glass Industries in Geelong
- Boundary Bend Olives in Lara
- Air-Radiators in Lara
- Geelong Region Innovation and Investment Fund (GRIIF)
- The Morrison Liberal Government's investment in GRIIF projects has helped to create more than 840 local jobs.
- The Next Generation Manufacturing Investment Program is providing opportunities for advanced manufacturers in the Geelong and Corangamite region. Recipients include:
- Colac-based Australian Lamb received a $516,012 grant to introduce next generation robotics into its floor processing chain to automate operations.
- Lara-based SNF (Australia) received a $2,173,333 grant to establish a liquid acrylamide plant, enabling it to replace imports and enter new markets such as agricultural water run-off remediation.
- HeIQ - an enterprise working with short polymer fibres and based at Deakin University – was awarded a $1.26m competitive grant to establish a commercial-scale manufacturing facility.
We are also delivering major infrastructure projects which are creating hundreds of new jobs - these include the duplication of the Princes Highway, the upgrade of the Great Ocean Road and the construction of the National Disability Insurance Agency headquarters. Our $154 million City Deal will also deliver a major boost to local jobs.
We have also announced that 12 new jobs will be created in Geelong with a new $32 million defence contract for a Deakin University based company to design and develop an armoured vehicle driving simulator.
See details of specific job creation announcements below: