I am delighted to announce that the Apollo Bay Pool and the Kennett River Association are among organisations which will benefit from Round 3 of the Turnbull Government’s Stronger Communities Program.
The Apollo Bay Aquatic Centre, located adjacent to Apollo Bay P-12 school, has received $20,000 to hep fund the installation of new pool heating. This is part of a larger $400,000 project to upgrade and construct an indoor pool by enclosing the pool and heating it all year round.
The Apollo Bay community has raised $220,000 to date including the Stronger Communities grant. This is an amazing effort. I am such a strong supporter of this project and will continue to work hard with community members to support the additional monies required to create a first class community pool for Apollo Bay.
I call on Colac Otway Shire to commit to funding the ongoing maintenance of the pool which is integral to the success of this project.
Congratulations also to the Kennett River Association which has received $20,000 to construct a wildlife walk at the Kennett River picnic ground. This $40,000 project will be a wonderful community and tourism asset.
With the number of tourists stopping to see koalas and birds, Kennett River needs much more infrastructure including proper car parking and toilets. The state government must urgently prioritise public toilet facilities at Kennett River. The current situation is untenable. It is having a major impact on Koala Café’s business, on our reputation as a world class tourism destination and immediate action is required.
The projects approved to date are as follows:
|· Apollo Bay Aquatic Centre, heating project $20,000
· Barwon Heads Fine Music Society, stage, backdrop and lighting project $5,000
· Birregurra Preschool, backyard improvements $5,000
· Colac Scouts, 3rd 4th Colac Scouts new hall roof $9,936.00
· Colac Woodcrafters Guild, fitout of meeting room display area, $14,100
· East Belmont Saints Baseball Club, training facility with lighting $20,000
· Fairhaven Surf Life Saving Club, upgrade to nippers amenity area $2,850
· Kennett River Association, wildlife walk $20,000
· Linton Men’s Shed, creation of welding room and booth $3,000
· Ocean Grove Tennis Club, disability access for pavilion $18,580
· Rokewood Football and Netball Club, kitchen rooms upgrade $10,000
· Shelford Progress Association, multi-purpose sporting area upgrade $5,466
· Warrion Cricket Club, cricket nets upgrade, $7,466