Since being elected in September 2013, I have been very proud as your local Federal MP to be standing up and delivering for Corangamite jobs, infrastructure and every vibrant community across this large, regional electorate.
Fighting for local jobs
Locally, the Turnbull government has provided millions of dollars to support local manufacturers and job creation programs.
Introducing the $100m Advanced Manufacturing Fund in the 2017 Federal Budget has provided new funding opportunities, available for our region’s advanced manufacturing sector.
Our $20m regional Jobs and Investment fund will drive jobs, investment and support skills and training.
Construction of the National Disability Insurance Agency headquarters has begun in Geelong, housing 560 staff.
I have continued to fight to attract LAND 400 jobs to Geelong and was thrilled that BAE System’s lead partner Marand announced it is in advanced negotiations with Ford Australia to manufacture military vehicles at Ford’s north Geelong site. If BAE wins the contract, the hull and turret of the Land 400 vehicles will manufactured here in Geelong.
I proudly announced the critically important $110m investment in the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds rail duplication, as well as planning and land acquisition for a rail corridor through Armstrong Creek to Torquay. This is in addition to the $1m in planning money the Coalition committed in 2016 and will help ensure our region has the rail services it deserves.
Another $114m will be spent on the Warrnambool line for track and signalling works, and a passing loop west of Colac. The project will pave the way for more services, including for the new VLocity trains, which currently only travel as far as Waurn Ponds.
Significant progress is being made on the duplication of the Princes Highway between Winchelsea and Colac. I have campaigned for this project which features a $185.5m investment from the Turnbull government.
I am thrilled to have delivered $100m for the Great Ocean Road since 2013, which is critically important for tourism, road safety and our local economy.
The Turnbull government continues to roll-out NBN broadband across the electorate. Over 52,000 homes and businesses now service ready, with over 22,000 already active. See here for full details of the rollout across Corangamite
Building stronger communities
The Building Better Regions fund continues to contribute to local organisations across the electorate. The latest round of grants provided $2.2m for organisations including Kids Plus Foundation, Winchelsea Football and Netball Club, Diversitat’s Diversability Centre in Norlane and Birregurra Mechanics Hall.
Fixing mobile blackspots has been a focus of the Turnbull government and we have helped fund mobile base stations for Aireys Inlet, Apollo Bay, Anglesea, Barongarook, Barwon Downs, Bellbrae, Birregurra, Cape Otway, Carlisle River, Dereel, Gellibrand, Horden Vale, Kawarren, Kennett River, Lorne South, Separation Creek, Steiglitz and Yeodene.
The community push for new CCTV cameras in Barwon Heads and Ocean Grove was successful, with the cameras being installed to improve community safety.
I’m pleased the upgrade of Colac’s CBD is nearing completion, after the Turnbull government invested almost $1m to transform Murray St for traders and shoppers.
Creating more and better skilled Aussie jobs
- Getting more Australians into work with 383,300 jobs created since the start of the year, and an increase in the number jobs for the 14th straight month, the longest consecutive run of jobs growth since 1994.
- Replacing 457 visas with an improved temporary skilled visa scheme to ensure Australians have first priority for Australian jobs
Tax cuts for small business
- The Coalition is delivering much for small business including significant red tape reduction, extending the instant asset write-off and providing tax cuts to 16,920 small businesses across Corangamite
- These incentives will provide a major boost for jobs and the economy
Fairer, needs-based school funding
- Funding is estimated to grow by an additional $23.5 billion for Australia’s schools over the next decade from 2018-2027
- Every school will receive a fair amount of federal funding based on their individual needs, with extra assistance for those with the greatest needs, such as students with disability
- We have also passed child care reforms that will deliver an extra $430 million to help families access pre-school, building on a record $2.5 billion additional investment in early childhood education
Passing the Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedoms) Bill
- After the government gave Australian’s a say on the same sex marriage bill, and the public voted ‘yes’, we passed the legislation allowing same sex couples to marry.
Securing Australia’s energy future
- Introducing the National Energy Guarantee to deliver affordable, reliable energy
- Delivering Snowy Hydro 2.0 to provide energy security and create thousands of construction jobs
- Securing our domestic energy supply through a new export licensing scheme
- Investing nearly $60 million to support gas exploration and development
- Covering peak demand with a new gas supply guarantee
Restoring the rule of law to workplaces
- New laws to protect the rule of law in Australia’s construction industry and protect low-paid workers from union rip-off
- Protecting 60,000 volunteer firefighters from a hostile union takeover of the CFA
Keeping Australians Safe
- Strong laws to keep terrorists behind bars when they continue to pose a danger to the community
- Over 1,100 days since a successful boat arrival and securing resettlement for refugees on Manus and Nauru
- Delivering $321.4m, the largest single funding increase for the AFP’s domestic policing capabilities in more than a decade
- Strengthening our citizenship laws to ensure a priority is placed on respect for Australian values and on demonstrating an ability and willingness to integrate
Strong economic growth
- Over $34 billion of sensible Budget repair since the election
- On track for a Budget surplus in 2020-21
Greater accountability for big banks
- Creating a one-stop shop where consumers can resolve disputes with their banks
- A new Banking Executive Accountability regime to keep bank bosses honest and their pay within community standards
Making multinationals pay their fair share of tax
- Introduced new laws to close loopholes and tax multinational corporation profits here, so more money can be returned to our community
Fully funding the NDIS and guaranteeing Medicare
- Securing the future of the National Disability Insurance Scheme with real money to provide certainty and security
- Securing Medicare for all Australians with an increase in funding of $2.4 billion over four years
Strengthening and growing the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- Over $1.2 billion in extra funding delivered to provide cheaper access to life changing medicines for Australian people
- Listing more drugs on the scheme to ensure Australians have access to the drugs they need