Significant road safety upgrades will be carried out in Corangamite under a re-elected Turnbull Coalition Government.
Federal Member for Corangamite Sarah Henderson was joined by Deputy Liberal Leader Julie Bishop to announce the $3.75 million package today at Blackgate Road Mt Duneed, an area which will be upgraded under this funding.
Ms Henderson said the funding would be directed toward roads and intersections in Surf Coast Shire and Golden Plains Shire that had been identified as dangerous.
“The Coalition has long-been committed to providing funding to improve safety on local roads, particularly through our Roads Blackspot Programme and Roads to Recovery funding,” Ms Henderson said.
“These particular locations will be recognised by locals as sites where accidents have occurred in the past or through their own near misses.
“I look forward to seeing these upgrades carried out and will also be advocating for additional funding to support further upgrades for our local roads.”
Minister Bishop said the Coalition was committed to improving regional roads that had a history of serious car crashes.
“The Coalition has committed $500 million to the Black Spot Programme from 2014‑15 to 2018-19, including an additional $200 million over two years from 2015-16 to improve road safety and infrastructure across the country,” Minister Bishop said.
Minister Bishop said on top of today’s announcement the Coalition was also providing $40.54 million to local councils through Roads to Recovery between 2014-15 and 2018-19 to support the maintenance and upgrading of local roads.
The road safety projects to be carried out in Corangamite are:
- 2.4km section of Blackgate Road between Horseshoe Bend Road and Minya Lane at Torquay: $804,000 to seal shoulders and install edge lines and raised reflective pavement markers, upgrade or install guard fence and upgrade delineation and signage
- 4.6km section of Cape Otway Road between Gherang Road and Considines Road at Modewarre: $1,155,000 to seal shoulders and install edge lines and raised reflective pavement markers, upgrade or install guard fences and upgrade delineation and signage
- 3.4km section of Smythesdale Snake Valley Road between Hillcrest Road and Heales Street at Smythesdale: $667,000 to seal shoulders and install edge lines and raised reflective pavement markers, upgrade or install guard fences and upgrade delineation and signage
- 2.5km section of Smythesdale Sebastopol Road between Pascoe Street and Incolls Road at Smythesdale: $620,000 to seal shoulders and install edge lines, raised reflective pavement markers and guard fences, upgrade delineation and signage
- 2.3km section of Meredith Steiglitz Road between Pioneer Ridge Road and Eclipse Road at Meredith: $499,000 to seal shoulders and install edge lines and raised reflective pavement markers, install guard fence installation with rub rail, upgrade delineation and signage and reduce speed to 60kmh
17 June 2016